The Gaelic Players Association has launched a new video content series dealing with the opportunities and challenges presented by the use of social media. Developed in partnership with Reactive Sports Media, the series is being rolled-out all this week exclusively to inter-county players.
Social Media Recommendations for Inter-County Players is a five-part series and will be made available to players through the GPA app and on the WGPA website as follows:
- Monday, March 22nd: Introduction
- Monday, March 22nd: Unit 1 – Protecting your impression on social media
- Tuesday, March 23rd: Unit 2 – Designing and enacting your brand on social media
- Wednesday, March 24th: Unit 3 – Looking after your mental health in a social media world
- Thursday, March 25th: Unit 4 – Living in the fishbowl in the age of the smartphone
GPA Player Representation Manager Eamonn Murphy said; “Our members are amateur athletes but they deal with professional expectations both on and off the pitch. This includes their behavior on social media. While ultimately each player has to take personal responsibility for what they post and share, we want to empower them to use social media in a positive manner while making them aware of the challenges these platforms present to elite athletes.”
Kieran File, CEO of Reactive Sports Media added; “I have worked with many athletes and sporting organisations and it’s fair to say that the GPA have always been among the most proactive in this area. This series is designed specifically for inter-county players to ensure they have the tools required to make informed decisions when it comes to their use of social media.”
The series is also being supported by a top tips summary which can be found here:
The videos will be live each morning at 11am.